Urology/Very Thick Semen

superior91 wrote at 2010-02-04 06:41:55
I sit in a hot tub every day, and it has made no difference.

I finally went to see my Urologist in November.  He started me on Androgel, and thought that the very thick Semen was probably Prostate related.  He placed me on Cipro for a month.  This cleared it right up, and the Semen became more viscous again.  Now it appears to be thickening up again, so I guess I'll be giving him a call again to go on Cipro again.  I just thought that I would follow up with you.

Kevin wrote at 2011-07-30 06:33:25
any luck? A LOT of men have this same problem...myself included. I have very low levels of T as well. I've had thick semen like this for 10-12 years (im 28 now). I would love to fine out what the cause and cure is. Please keep us update.

Dale wrote at 2011-09-16 19:22:54
I am not a doctor but I can tell you I had the exact same thing.  I am 39 and have had the problem for at least 3 years.  I had normal testosterone levels.  Drink lots of water.

When I increased a dose of sertraline because I had gradual increases in stress/anxiety/depression, to combat the symptoms, within a week the symptoms have disappeared.  I was on the same dose for years.  Coincidence?  For me, I don't believe that it is but I also have no scientific proof either.  What I suspect is that perhaps hormonal changes that help create anxiety have had some biochemical consequences to the reproductive function; be it proteins and how they effect hyper-viscosity and  coagulation.  If you have any high stress, perhaps you can get checked out by your doctor.

mwas wrote at 2011-10-05 00:39:04
excessive usage of alcohol and less exercising might be the cause of this problem. i also had the problem and reduced the rate of drinking and did a lot of exercise. but am also interested whether this might cause difficulties in fathering a child?  

Dale wrote at 2011-10-15 15:04:26
Regarding fertility, I can state for myself that I had a fertility analysis done and there was no problems at all in terms of quality and quantity of sperm, regardless of the issue.  I also have helped conceived a child during the symptoms.

amjad wrote at 2012-08-10 02:50:57
I'm from Yemen have same these problem butI have baby

if you have any midecal tell me

JD wrote at 2014-10-24 21:24:44
did you find a solution for this???

i'm having the same symptoms. tested negative to infection. i keep drinking lots of fluid and healthy diet.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute