Urology/Retrograde Ejaculation

kkrumpa wrote at 2011-07-22 20:18:30
I agree with Rusty. I had my TURP in 1984 and sex is NOT the same as normal ejaculation. I have been looking for the same answer since and have only found one study from Japan which had solutions, but had to be a Dr. to read the findings.

ymousz_anon wrote at 2013-02-04 11:25:38
Stephen W. Leslie, MD, you wrote regarding a patient having retrograde ejaculation(re)due to prostate surgery:"...There is no known cure or remedy as the mechanism that directs the semen outwards is permanently destroyed by this surgery...". If memory serves me, the most important part of the Hippocratic oath is "first do no harm". There is a good bet My fellow re sufferer Rusty was not even informed of the this devastating "side effect" of turp and other prostate procedures prior to the procedure.  My urologist never told me, and it was questionable that my bladder retention was due to an enlarged prostate.  For a few months after I had a stronger flow but never long.  Now I am back to self cathetetering again, with all the irritation, uti's, etc that go with it.  I say this because I have done much research and seeking help and info on the internet.  I have concluded the majority of men who have had turp were not told beforehand that re would be likely or it was downplayed.  The fact along with re, there is a factual reduction is adequate sexual release.  Orgasm is either just going through the motions, causing more tension and even pain.  I find this to be unethical and even immoral for a doctor to minimize a permanent "side effect".  And I believe at the root of this is the insane for profit US medical system.  

swleslie wrote at 2013-02-15 00:52:34
Well, you are entitled to your opinion even if I strongly disagree.  The current insurance payment for a TURP is woefully inadequate especially since it is considered one of the most difficult surgeries to learn how to do properly.  We certainly don't do it for the money.  It is far more profitable to do 3 vasectomies in the office than to do a TURP on an elderly, high risk patient.  The alternative is to leave the patient with a tube or catheter to empty the bladder.  This leads to embarassment, stones, bleeding, infections, bladder spasms and discomfort.  Over time, tube can even wear away the undersurface of the penis.

I agree that urologists should adequately warn patients about the potential effect on sexual performance and ejaculation.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute