Urology/Why does bladder pain after urinating?

Hello! I am 50s. The cystoscopy displayed the bladder outlet obstruction only. The chronic prostatitis with or without bacteria also exists. The urine test and culture is negative. One of the symptoms is felling of bladder fullness and needing to urinate in the morning, the first urination. Then the bladder pains immediately after urinating. The pain is just like one holds his urine. After urinating, he will feel bladder pain. If he is normal, the bladder pain usually goes away in couple of minutes. But, my bladder pains for at least 30 minutes to one hour, sometimes even longer before it subside. Why does the bladder pain after urinating? What medication can treat the bladder pain after urinating? Thank you for your answer.

I suspect that your bladder pain is just the closing of the bladder neck and proximal prostate.  This would be related to your chronic prostatitis.  Further treatment of the prostatitis would probably help.  Meanwhile, try sitting in a hot tub or sitz bath twice a day for 5-10 minutes.  THis will probably help.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute