Urology/Damage to penis?

Hello doc! I have two questions:

1. I've had a fear that I might have developed a venous leakage in the past, e.g. don't get night erections and don't get aroused (because of post-SSRI?, venous leakage?). Week ago I still woke up from a nap and I had a very rigid erection. Does this mean that there is no way that I might have this condition?

2. I've also been having a hard time of getting and orgasm when masturbating/intercourse. So the day before yesterday I masturbated quite long and maybe a bit aggressively, it didn't still hurt or anything, but I noticed that my penis was rather/quite red after this session. Is it possible that I might have done some damage this way? (above-mentioned venous leakage? etc.)...

Since by definition you are asleep during noctural erections, you may not know if you are getting them or not.  SSRI use can have an effect, but this is usually transitory after you stop the medication.  Having at least one good nocturnal erection as you've described is good, but it's not wise to make broad assumptions based on an isolated incident.

It is almost always possible to do anything in medicine, but it would be unlikely for you to cause any significant damage in the manner you've described other than skin irritation; it would be highly unlikely to cause or contribute to venous leak.

Like many other questioners on this forum, there is a concern about venous leak which does not sound reasonable to me.  If you're having good erections, then it doesn't matter.  If not, then I dont' see the value in the label of venous leak since we have no specific remedy other than the usual ones we would be using anyway.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute