Urology/Detached epididymis

Dr. Leslie,
About two years ago an ex girlfriend and I were having sex and while having sex she took hold of my scrotum very tightly. I was in a backward motion and she was in a forward motion, you can imagine how that ended. Since then my left testicle no longer sits right and I have had a constant pain that reaches up into my lower abdomen. The pain never reaches above a 3 on a 1-10 scale, but theres not a day that goes by i don't feel it. For someone without health insurance if its not life threatening it gets pushed aside and left for tomorrow. Aside from the minor pain I haven't had any other signs or symptoms like swelling or bleeding. I think the epididymis may have detached some from the testicle.  My question to you is, along with any advice you can give, if this is the case how severe can this get? I was hoping to wait it out until Im able to get health insurance but like I said its been two years.

Even if the epididymis became "detached", it would have healed by now.  As far as how severe it can get, remember that we don't have a diagnosis yet.  I suppose anything can get bad enough that in a worse case scenario the testicle might have to be operated on or removed.  Meanwhile, consult a urologist so you know what you are facing.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute