Urology/Detached epididymis

Question
Dr. Leslie,
About two years ago an ex girlfriend and I were having sex and while having sex she took hold of my scrotum very tightly. I was in a backward motion and she was in a forward motion, you can imagine how that ended. Since then my left testicle no longer sits right and I have had a constant pain that reaches up into my lower abdomen. The pain never reaches above a 3 on a 1-10 scale, but theres not a day that goes by i don't feel it. For someone without health insurance if its not life threatening it gets pushed aside and left for tomorrow. Aside from the minor pain I haven't had any other signs or symptoms like swelling or bleeding. I think the epididymis may have detached some from the testicle.  My question to you is, along with any advice you can give, if this is the case how severe can this get? I was hoping to wait it out until Im able to get health insurance but like I said its been two years.

Answer
Rich:

Even if the epididymis became "detached", it would have healed by now.  As far as how severe it can get, remember that we don't have a diagnosis yet.  I suppose anything can get bad enough that in a worse case scenario the testicle might have to be operated on or removed.  Meanwhile, consult a urologist so you know what you are facing.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD