Urology/How hard

Im 20 and I dont get as hard as I used too. How hard or rigid do you have to be to have intercourse. Im not super stiff but my penis isnt bendy either. Is the only reason some people cant penetrate with a not hard erection because it flops?  This concern happened after I slept with a girl and in the morning i couldnt penetrate....but again ifeel like i should be hard enough

There is no easy way to describe the degree of hardness required.  If it's just barely rigid enough to penetrate, we arbitarily call that 50%.  At your age, it's almost certainly psychological.  Discuss this with your physician if it continues.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute