Urology/NOCTURIA (but urination not problem during day)

Hi, wondering why I can go all day without having to urinate, but as soon as I lie down, within an hour I have to go; then again in the next hour, then perhaps in 2 hours. One time, I got up 8 times! but most of the time, it's within the first 1-3 hours where I have to get up and then I'm OK until the early am. Also, I don't get as much if I'm not woken up by the cat, but when I am, then I have to go. Blood & urine tests just done; everything is normal. One thing that's interesting is that if I take 5mg Ambien, I can go almost an entire night without having to void (whatever that means?) Could it mean that it's about stress? I'm an horrible insomniac. I do admit that I drink caffeine-free herbal teas in the evenings, but I refrain from drinking them at least two hours from HS. Again, the problem is ONLY when supine. Appreciate any thoughts.

The issue could be diabetes, nocturnal polyuria, inappropriate ADH secretion, drug use side effects, etc.  It's too involved to go into here.  Start by looking at the herbal teas and make sure that they are indeed caffeine free.

Next, do a voiding diary where you write down the time and the amount that you void.  If it's clear that you are making more urine overnight per hour than during the day, then the problem is a urine production issue and maybe hormonal.

Talk to your local physician or consult a urologist for additional advice.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute