Urology/partial testicle retraction / weightlifting

I am a 28-year-old male. Recently my right testicle has been occasionally attempting to retract. This never happened to me before a few weeks ago. It has never fully retracted but seems to try to partially retract, during an erection or otherwise, which is uncomfortable and somewhat unsettling. Yesterday I was deadlifting when this suddenly occurred. I put the weight down and 'fixed myself' in just a second as it only takes a brief motion to fix it. I thought little of it and started to return to lifting, however, from that point on there was a mild discomfort in the right adonis belt region that radiated toward the testicle and inner thigh. Very mild and slight but, being afraid of injuring myself, and afraid of frightening things I'd read about like testicular torsion and inguinal hernias, I stopped lifting and went home. There is still a mild discomfort in that region today. There is no hernia-like lump and no actual pain, and the discomfort is only very minimal but I am worried. Why does my testicle try to retract like this, and is it a sign of something serious like an inguinal hernia despite my lack of real pain / lump, or am I ok? Thank you for your help

The testicle is retracting due to tightening of the cremasteric muscle.  This muscle usually controls the length of the cord to adjust the temperature inside the testicle for optimal sperm.  If it's retracting and becoming uncomfortable, a surgical procedure to remove the cremasteric fibers and fix the testicle in place can be done.  Theoretically, a trial of Botox might also work but there is no data on this.  This does not indicate a hernia.  You should consult a urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute