Urology/Prostate pain and penis discharge

Question
I am 22 years old. Had a UTI a year ago. High WBC's but culture was negative. Treated with Cipro for 10 days. A couple of months later started having prostate and back pain with penis discharge. I  have been to the GP several times. I have been treated with two Zpacks, a month of cipro, another month of Bactrim, a shot of Rocephin, and Doxcycline over the course of the year. GP referred me to a urologist. He checked my prostate which about killed me due to the pain and was able to get secretions to culture which were negative and treated me with another month of Cipro and Mobic. Went back with c/o that symptoms were not any better. He did a cystoscopy that was normal. A ultrasound and CAT scan that were normal. He wants to refer me to Mayo Clinic. Please can you give me some advise. So in summmary my symptoms are my prostate is tender and hurts. No problems at all voiding. The penis discharge happens all day.  It is clear sometimes cloudy and happens after I void and sometimes just randomly. I have been research internet. Read that taking Flomax and Mobic for 6 weeks. Would you suggest this?  Thank you for your advise.

Answer
Holden:

It sounds like you have a complex prostatitis.  Treatment usually includes hot sitz baths 2-3 times a dya for 5-10 minutes, an NSAID like ibuprofen or "Aleve" regularly, avoidance of caffeine and alcohol, use of alpha blockers like "Flomax" and 5ARIs like finasteride and sometimes use of a nutritional supplement, quercetin, which has evidence to show it is useful in reducing prostate inflammation.  You may want to get a second opinion from another local urologist before going to Mayo.

The penis discharge is another issue.  It sounds like you've had a complete workup and no particular cause has been identified.  The finasteride might help.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD