Urology/Sepsus from uti

Hi I recently had a uti with minimal symptoms. Next thing you know I have fever and chills so I go to the hospital and I'm told it's sepsis. My kidneys are clean they said my vital organs are ok they still think infection must've been in kidney. There was bacteria in my urine. I recently had diahrrea and I think it caused a problem.  I'm on Iv antibiotic was told I'm responding well. I feel better.  My issue is that everything on Internet about sepsis is horrifying. Is it possible to have it treated early and be ok?  I'm a relatively young guy in otherwise good health. Thanks

Sepsis is a severe from of infection.  It usually indicates high fever, elevated WBCs in the blood and bacteria growing in the blood.  In your case, most likely you received some level of treatment which may have blunted the clinical symptoms.  

Either you had sepsis or you didn't.  In questionable cases, it's often better to assume the worst and treat accordingly.  Your urologist should check on why you got an infection in the first place.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute