Urology/Stricture and urethogram

I am a 44-year-old male who has long had a weak urine stream, something I've always attributed to prostatitis.

I now believe I also have a stricture because because of double-stream urine, dribbling and just the feeling that the urine is getting blocked at the tip of the penis.

At times, I also get prostatitis, which be a result of the stricture.

And lately when I ejaculate, my semen just oozes out instead of squirting out.

I went to a urologist and he prescribed me a urethogram. I will be going in next week.

How painful is this?

What are the odds this can make the stricture worse?

If I do have a stricture, which I'm sure of, how effective would laser surgery be in preventing it from reoccurring?

A urethrogram is a little uncomfortable but not painful.  It is not likely to make the stricture worse; it's just a picture of it.

In strictures, use of lasers is not substantially better than other means of treatment.  There is a high recurrence rate regardless.  One technique that often helps is patient self dilation intermittently.  This is something you can talk to your urologist about once the diagnosis is confirmed.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute