Urology/Stricture and urethogram

Question
I am a 44-year-old male who has long had a weak urine stream, something I've always attributed to prostatitis.

I now believe I also have a stricture because because of double-stream urine, dribbling and just the feeling that the urine is getting blocked at the tip of the penis.

At times, I also get prostatitis, which be a result of the stricture.

And lately when I ejaculate, my semen just oozes out instead of squirting out.

I went to a urologist and he prescribed me a urethogram. I will be going in next week.

How painful is this?

What are the odds this can make the stricture worse?

If I do have a stricture, which I'm sure of, how effective would laser surgery be in preventing it from reoccurring?

Answer
Charles:

A urethrogram is a little uncomfortable but not painful.  It is not likely to make the stricture worse; it's just a picture of it.

In strictures, use of lasers is not substantially better than other means of treatment.  There is a high recurrence rate regardless.  One technique that often helps is patient self dilation intermittently.  This is something you can talk to your urologist about once the diagnosis is confirmed.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD