Urology/Surgery again or medications for a recurrence of elderly age BPH?

Question
QUESTION: My 85 years father ever had BPH surgery 20 years ago to correct his BPH prostate enlargement problem. But the prostate is enlarged again. He has been hospitalized and placed a catheter in his urethra for month to prevent from urinary retention and infection. He has other common elderly diseases such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes. In my fatherís age, what is the best treatment option for him, medications or surgery again? If the medications, what medication may work best for him? If the BPH surgery is better, is the laser surgery the best choice or TURP?  Thank you for your answer.

ANSWER: Ryan,
I am huge advocate of laser surgery as you may have read, there are cases when the laser is not the best choice also. Being your grandfather is 85 and his health is less than optimum I would say that the Green Light laser preferably an HPS or XPS unit is his best option. Let me explain a bit about thermal physics and surgery.

A TURP is done with a electrocordery loop , this is a wire that is in a loop shape that becomes red hot and is able to cut tissue at high energy and then low energy for cauterizing tissue. A surgeon will put the loop through a large 22-24 french resectascope as its within the penis and prostate to visualize the surgery as glysine or sugar water is circulated in the bladder and out of the outflow of the scope. This allows the bloody water to clear and keep good visualization while the urologist works at cutting out tissue. They must make two swipes for every piece of prostate removed once for a cut and the other to coagulate or cauterize. This procedure causes a decent amount of blood loss as between each swipe water seeps in the vessels and blood seeps out. After the surgery the patient is cathiterized with a 22-24 and even 26 french catheter and in many cases with CBI or constant bladder irrigation, meaning the circulation of glysine continues while the gland still bleeds and clots. This has been the gold standard to resect a prostate for many many years.

Now all lasers do not do the same thing and there is a reason I researched and use a Green Light laser. There is two kinds of laser TURP 1st generation is called a laser ablation of the prostate that is done with a holmium laser the procedure is called HOLAP or holmium laser ablation of the prostate. This laser targets water as its chromophore and boils it in an instant with subsequent explosion of the tissue and pieces break off. The problem is it fogs your visual field trying to ablate tissue in a so called snow storm. We all know how much fun driving in a snow storm is. The other issue is it does not optimally coagulate tissue from bleeding  but does a fair job. The thermal penetration is excellent with a holmium laser but its a very slow process leaving the patient under anesthesia longer.

The Green Light laser from American Medical Systems is the Ferrari of lasers now let me explain. 1st the GL works off a 532 nm wavelength which is known to target red, blue and brown colors.Red is the key word as blood is red and this laser attracts to it and absorbs it as its chromophore. In this process since tissue is saturated with blood the laser goes after all bloody tissue. Now this laser does not ablate tissue or explode it , this actually vaporizes the tissue into nano particles smaller than the eye can see. The scope used is a 17-20 french cystoscope like used in the urologists office, much smaller than the resectascope. This circulates saline through the scope into the bladder and out of the outflow port usually crystal clear like clean water. How does it do this you ask? Well the laser can vaporize tissue and coagulate tissue virtually causing tiny to no blood loss at all. No blood loss is a good thing huh! Well its even better than that , its thermal penetration is similar to holmium where as the vaporization takes place the remaining tissue is left uncooked in pristine condition. As a result no significant swelling of tissue takes place and therefore cathiterization is used for 1 day after or not all and never is CBI necessary. After PVP (photoselective vaporization of the prostate)there is little or no pain at all to need narcotic pain meds. The patient goes home right after surgery or can have a 24 hour observation in the hospital unlike TURP that requires a 3 day hospital stay. (bigger hosp bill)

The choice for most men is crystal clear just like the irrigation during the surgery that comes out of the scope. I think your grandfather will do great if he can have the PVP procedure done by a skilled laser surgeon. I would look at the AMS website www.greenlightforbph.com  and find a PVP certified surgeon for the case. Good luck and my prayers are with yall !

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer. It seems my father has to go for the surgery again but by the PVP. I have a follow up question about the catheter. How long can the catheter usually stay in? My father has been placed a catheter for one month. Are there any potential problems/risks if a catheter stayed in long time?

Answer
Ryan
He needs that cath changed now a month is long enough , indwelling catheters develop infections, encrusted debris and are very uncomfortable for the patient. Demand the cath be changed and make sure prophylaxis antibiotics like Cipro or Levaquin are given even for 2-3 days if he is not infected now, bc after the cath comes out he most likely will develop a UTI.  

Urology

Thomas A Suppe RDMS CLT