Urology/Testosterone replacement

Hello Dr. Leslie

I have asked you some questions in the past relating to poor libido and I have an update.

I had my testosterone levels checked recently and they came back as borderline low, just a little above 300 ng/dcl, which may be considered low for a man who is almost 24 years old.  So me and my urologist agreed to try testosterone cypionate at 200mg every two weeks and I am one week into my first shot right now.  I am hopeful that this will resolve my issue but I am nervous at what could happen if it does not work and fails to help my sex drive.  So far I have not felt any different, though it may be too early to expect that.

So I wanted to ask, how soon could I expect to see improvement?  Second, if it fails to do what I hope it will, how difficult would it be to stop treatment, even if it is used for a short period of time?  I know that many have a hard time doing so due to the effects of exogenous testosterone on the body, which is why I hope we would know soon enough if it does not work.

Thank you.

In general, do not expect to see any changes for 8 weeks or so.  It takes time for the new level of testosterone to have an effect.  I typically will do a similar trial for at least 3 months just to make absolutely sure.  Stopping treatment is very easy; just stop the shots.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute