Urology/Unable to achieve an orgasm

Question
Dear Dr. Leslie,

I'm 21 years old and have noticed since I started to become sexually active that I am unable to get close to achieving an orgasm during sex. I always used to masturbate in the prone position and since reading various articles describing this problem as Traumatic Masturbatory Syndrome (which I believe has no real medical backing but yet still describes my case quite well) I decided to try and use my hand to masturbate in the conventional way. I find that I was successful after quite a bit of practice but I have to be quite fast, fairly tight on the head of my penis (where I find all the sensitivity is)and extremely aroused. It takes quite a while to for me to orgasm and sometimes I have to give up and finish in the prone position. I have done this for about a month now, trying to ween off prone masturbation but when I give in and finish prone, I notice my penis becomes sore on the foreskin and it slightly hurts on the glans too the next day which I am guessing is because I am getting used to the new way that I masturbate?

I am now in a relationship and like all other sexual encounters before, I can't orgasm... this is due to the fact that my partner is fairly gentle and I have to masturbate pretty hard to get any result (I would like to stress that we have not yet had penetrative sex). I was basically wondering if you think abstaining from masturbation for a few months would restore my sensitivity and bring it back to a normal state or if there's certain ways that I can train my penis to become more sensitive, I have read that some people try to use soft materials to stimulate the nerves or a very soft touch so that they regrow that way... I would rather avoid going to a urologist as I am very shy on this issue. Also because I live in the UK, it is quite hard to bypass a GP to see a specialist so if there is anything I could do about it myself or anything you can recommend I'd be grateful to know.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Spencer

Answer
Spencer:

I doubt that abstinence is going to help your problem.  There may not be any known way to increase sensitivity of the penis or to improve orgasm.  If there were a magic pill that did this, I'd keep it all to myself!!!  In most cases, we tend to think of difficulty in achieving orgasm as a psychological issue but first you'd need a checkup to make sure there is no physical issue.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD