Urology/Urethra injured while urinating

Question
I experience urination urgency, so I sometimes have to grab my penis quickly to prevent an accident.  

This morning, I wound up holding the very tip of my penis to prevent urinating while my bladder had a spasm.  I then felt a sharp pain at the tip of my penis.  It felt like the pressure of the urine had torn my urethra.  I bled several drops, and urination is painful now.  It feels like it is re-injuring my urethra, and I bleed a little afterwards.  

I'm middle aged and in good health otherwise.  I can't see any injury looking into the urethra.  It seems to me it will heal itself, but I did want to take advantage of what advice you might have with regard to dealing with the injury as well as how to hold my penis when I experiencing urgency in order to prevent another injury in the future.  Thank you!

Answer
John:

First, your urinary urgency problem should be addressed by a local urologist.  Next, it's impossible to identify the injury from only your description.  An injury to the urethra is possible due to the presence of blood, but there could also be a prostate issue.  Most of these heal OK but there could also develop some scar tissue and a stricture later on.

Holding the penis to prevent leakage while having urgency is not a good long term solution.  We have medications that can relax these spasms and give you some relief while preventing a recurrence.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD