Urology/chronic epididymitis

Hello Dr. Leslie,
You have been very helpful in the past answering my questions and I am so very grateful.  I have another...
I am 41, and had a severe case of acute epididymitis 5-6 months ago.  I took abx for about 6 weeks and hydrocele disappeared completely as did other signs of infection.
I continue to have soreness and tenderness in the R testicle and I've come to accept this will probably be present for a long time.  
However, in the past few months, the same testicle has been riding higher in the scrotum.  It is so high that I can't see it.  It varies but is often a full 1-2 inches higher than the normal side.  The other day I looked at it and it was not that high but was transversely oriented (the long end facing right to left) while the left side was normal (front to back).  Never seen that before and it apparently oriented itself again.
The pain and tenderness varies but has not gotten noticably worse.  Should I be concerned about the testicle position?  Is this common with epididymitis?  
Thanks again for your incredible service and commitment!

Changes in position of the testicle such as you describe are not common with epididymitis and could represent a problem.  It may be more prone to a twisting or torsion at this point although usually the testicle becomes fixed in the scrotum after a bad infection.  You should consult a urologist to determine if any treatment is warranted at this point.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute