Urology/Cooled Thermotherapy

Question
I wonder if I could be eligible for cooled thermotherapy. I have experienced frequent urination problems for several years. I had prostate cancer in 1999; treated with seed implants at Mayo Rochester 7/19/99.  My annual exams have shown acceptable PSA readings and the prostate seems to be of an acceptable size when examined by my family doctor. I took Tamsulosin (.4mg)for several years, discontinuing it one year ago to see if I really needed it - my frequent urination stayed the same. I am 75 years young and in good physical condition, still enjoying fishing, golf and bowling.  Thanks in advance for a reply, Gary Fredrickson.

Answer
Gary:

Cooled thermotherapy is not likely to help much.  After radiation therapy, the tissue heals with scar and fibrous tissue which is relatively resistant to this treatment.

you need a full urological evaluation to see is your problem is overactive bladder, blockage, radiation effect or something else.  If blockage is your problem, the best treatment might be a limited resection but after radiation therapy there is a significant risk of leakage.  Good luck.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD