Urology/damaged penis

Question
Dear Doctor,

My penis is permanently damaged due to jelqing. It's been five years since this damaged occurred and my erection has been weak, painful and quickly vanishing ever since. Viagra makes it stronger but causes horrible pain so it is not enjoyable at all.

I went to a urologist but he berated me and refused to listen to my story. It was so humiliating that I never went to another urologist.

Now I hear tests are available to diagnose the blood flow in the penis and venous ligation my be able to help cure my problem. How can I find a urologist who will perform these tests without first having to go through multiple humiliating experiences before finding one who will take me seriously? Why is there no much ignorance amongst urologists on this important and pervasive problem? It seems the internet is littered with poor guys like me but doctors in general are still  ignorant of this fact and treat us like we are stupid and or crazy.

Thanks

Answer
Joe:

A urologist who treated you the way you described should be ashamed.

Yes, we can diagnose blood flow, but if you've caused significant damage to the penis sufficient to cause pain with Viagra, I am concerned that alternative measures may also fail due to the same problem.  This can happen with scar tissue from the injury.  Venous ligation is not particularly successful and so has been largely abandoned.  To help you find a competent urologist, check with the Sexual Medicine Society of North America.  This official medical group consists of urologists who have made an effort to become more expert at sexual function problems.  www.smsna.org is their website.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD