Urology/Gushing Blood from Urethra

Question
I am almost 5 months pregnant and went to my Dr last week bc I was peeing blood and a little gushing but not bad, well he did an exam and sure enough it was coming from my urethra not my vagina, so he sent off my urine to have it analyzed and he called back yesterday ( I went to him last Wednesday ) with the results and said that it looks like I have a bladder infection but he ordered an ultrasound for today at 1:30, well that's all good and fine but I've realized that I "gush" at night and when I take naps or if I'm laying on the couch, and also I wear a pad constantly bc I never know when it might happen but what is starting to really scare me and I can't get ahold of my Dr about is that from 12- 5 this morning, I had to change 3 pads bc I am gushing out so much blood and I'm getting scared over it....

Answer
Shannon:

If the blood is likely from an infection, then your physician will start by giving you an antibiotic.  Treatment is often difficult during a pregnancy.  The bleeding is scary but it is rarely bad enough to be dangerous.  Call your obstetrician in the morning and tell him about the increased bleeding.  You may need a catheter temporarily to help control the bleeding until the infection is eliminated.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD