Urology/Lump on penis

Penis lump
Penis lump  

Penis lump2
Penis lump2  
Hi doc,

I've had the following lump on the base of my penis for some months now, maybe even over a year. It was a lot smaller, hardly noticeable so I didn't worry about this too much, but it has gotten larger over the past weeks and it causing me some concern now. It doesn't hurt and there's no discharge but is esthetically not exactly pleasing to the eye. It's right below the skin and I can move it around. I've been searching the internet like crazy and believe it could be some sort of cyst. I don't believe it's a STD but my wife, who noticed this recently as well, is asking what's going on and refuses to have sex with me now over two days already. You'll understand I can't handle this much longer. I'm 47 years old, if that's relevant already.

Can you please tell me if this will disappear by itself or whether I should consult my physician?

You've had the problem for some months and it seems to be getting worse.  I think it is unlikely at the point it will disappear at this point.  A sebaceous cyst is likely.  If so, a small surgery can fix it but I can't be absolutely sure of the diagnosis from here.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute