Urology/Pain in my 7y/o

Hi, my son has recently with in the the last week been complaining of pain in the tip of his penis. We have looked at it several times and it does not  look red or inflamed. At times, he cries and states that it hurts severely. He does not complain of burning or pain with urinating. We don't have insurance at this time and I am not sure if I should just take him to the ED if this is  serious.

Pain at the tip of the penis could be an infection or scarring.  It may also be prostatitis which can often cause pain at the tip of the penis.  I don't think he needs to go to he ER but that's up to him.  He should contact his regular physician or consult a local urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute