Urology/penile doppler

QUESTION: Okay when i got the penile doppler, the guy injected me than came back 10 minutes later and measured me ONCE. i heard there supposed to measure you multiple times in intervals. Why do they measure multiple times in intervals? Is the test invalid now? i read this and this scared me...

"To check if there are blood vessel problems causing my ED, I had a Penile doppler ultrasound done. As I read about it later, it is typically carried out for around 30 minutes, doing measurements at 5 minute intervals. But that S.0.B waited only seconds between readings, and the whole thing was over in 8 minutes, and he declared everything to be normal. But in the report he wrote that doppler indices were obtained at 5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 min intervals. Is it possible that the results were compromised? "

Why do they measure multiple times in intervals? Is the test invalid now? i read this and this scared me...

There are several ways of doing the test.  It may be difficult for staff to break away from other patients to do some of the measurements.  In a study where there are plenty of staff around this is not a problem.  While multiple measurements are best, it is not "invalid" to do fewer.  It's the readings that count, not the number of measurements.

QUESTION: How much less accurate do u think it is? I feel like its inaccurate because he only measured it once like 9 minutes after injection. Whats the reason for multiple measurements?

The reason for the multiple measurements is that there may be a problem that is best identified by looking at a trend rather than taking a specific measurement at a particular time.  But the goal is to look at the degree of enlargement of the penile arteries in response to medication.  If that happens early, then you're done.  If it takes longer, then you have to wait longer.  As stated earlier, the test is not inaccurate if there were not alot of measurements taken.  Its the reading that's important, not the number of times the measurement is done.

QUESTION: what do you mean, when do you look for a trend and when do you not?

A trend would be a series of measurements showing steady and/or rapid changes.  You need more measurements to identify this.  However, if the final result is good, then the trend may not be important.  If the final number is borderline, then having the trend and a series of measurements is helpful.

This is the last question I'm going to answer on this issue.  If you believe that the testing was not done correctly or was in error, then ask the physician directly or get a second opinion.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute