You are here:

Urology/Penile dysfunction


Good day to you,
I trust that you will be able to advise me.
I have an embarrasing question and do not feel comfortable talking to my GP about it as he states it is an age problem and prescribed Cialis to solve it. It didn't.
I am 62 years old and have a full erection problem. Up to 75% from flaccid to erect is fine but the last stretch sees the head reduce in size and a "swelling" appear half way up the shaft. It is nice and thick but the head remain half smaller than the shaft. Pictures I see of other penises shows the reverse i.e. thicker head as shaft.
I feel that this "swelling" hinders the flow of semen during orgasm.
I want to lead a normal sex life.
Please advise/guide/recommend treatment.
Is there medicine I can try?
Kind regards


If your erection is 75%, we usually consider that more than sufficient for intercourse.  I can't explain the swelling you've noticed and so it is difficult to recommend any treatment.  I suggest you ask your physician about a consultation with a urologist with experience in male sexual disorders.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.