Urology/Penile injury

Hello doctor, so about a week ago I was with my girlfriend and I had an erection. I was on top of her and layed on her, putting some downward pressure on my erect penis. Suddenly, I hear and feel a slight "popping" sensation near the base of my penis, but no pain at all. My erection soon goes away, and my flaccid penis felt a lot more hard like there was a tube running through it. My erection afterward have been much weaker and not as rigid. They also have no support at the base and bend downward. I'm very worried about this, I have confirmed by a urologist that this wasn't a fracture, but I want my old penis back. Do you know what kind of damage I did? Is it the suspensory ligament? Also, what is the hard flaccid feeling I have? Will it go away? Please help doctor, thanks.

I can't say for sure exactly what was injured, but you probably had some kind of injury to some of the ligaments that hold and secure the base of the penis.  A fracture would have been much, much worse.  There is no way to magically restore the original function except to wait and let it heal.  I cannot explain the feeling you have except that it would appear to be related to the injury.  Most of the time, these problems slowly diminish over time but it can take months or even years.  Meanwhile, you can use Viagra and similar medications to help with the erections if necessary.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute