Urology/penile injury (continued)

Hi doctor Leslie, I just had to ask one last follow-up question,I promise this will be the last. I just wanted to know if having this firmness while flaccid poses any medical emergency whatsoever or is it harmless to my penis. Also, it is not as firm when sitting and when lying down as opposed to when standing. Thank you for all your help.

I can't tell you if it's an emergency or not.  True priapism with an abnormally prolonged erection, needs immediate treatment.  I cannot determine the degree of hardness you currently are experiencing and so cannot advise you.

The differences noted when changing positions is due to the changes in blood flow.  Usually, however, it's better when lying than when standing so I can't really explain what you've described.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute