You are here:

Urology/Post Prostatitis Chronic Glans Redness


red cracked glans penis
red cracked glans peni  

discolored glans penis
discolored glans penis  
Hi Dr. Leslie,

I apologize for the graphic photos but for the last few months I have had chronic redness at my glans.  It appeared after starting antibiotics for prostatitis that I had had for ~3 weeks prior.  I finished the pills weeks ago, but this discoloration has remained, along with some occasional urinary and rectal discomfort I can say the skin feels hot compared to normal tissue and it sporadically feels like a mild pain.

Rash is mostly on the head of my penis, which does not itch, but the skin has a cracked and velvety texture and was previously smooth and normal looking.  I have seen several Dr. and they are all either  stumped or dismiss it as "normal" and similarly I posted on 09/20 in the STD forum thinking it was balanitis.

All my tests thus far, mostly for sexual infections, have been negative, including urine cultures.  I have tried many different types of creams, salves, and ointments and nothing has made much of an effect.  I don't know what to think of this, it is pretty much constant, and more noticeable when I am erect. I have even read about something called 'reverse psoriasis'.

Dermatologist wants to biopsy it, but I have been hesitant due to the sensitive location and prefer to rule out via bloodwork.  She did scrape it but it was not fungal under the microscope and did not react to the dye.  Now some time has passed and I have had relatively thorough blood workups, so I am really stumped at this point.  

Do you think this could be permanent post infectious scarring, similar to what a staph or strep infection could cause, or should I be concerned about having a lingering soft tissue infection, or just man up and go through with the biopsy?  

I appreciate any advice and your time here very much Dr. Leslie, and best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season.


I don't know the answer to your question and the dermatologists are considered the experts on skin issues.  I can only suggest you get a second opinion from another dermatologist.  If this second opinion also says a biopsy is recommended, then do it.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.