Urology/PSA prostatitis

Question
Dear Dr.

I have experienced numerous episodes of nonacterial prostatitis since I was 37. I am now 67. I am very familiar with the symptoms and my bouts usually run their course in a few weeks to a few months. Sometimes I go several years between episodes. MY PSA always rises during an episode.

For the last three years I ave been taking Prozac (PTSD) and Flomax (BPH), although the BPH has been around about 12-15 years.

For the last 7 years or so my PSA has been in the 2.4-2.6 range.

The combination of the two drugs have caused several episodes of delayed ejaculation or inability to ejaculate which resolve if I skip the Flomax for a week or two.

Two weeks prior to my annual checkup I had a bad experience with inability to ejaculate and foolishy tried to finish with masturbation for an extended time. The next day I felt "sore".

My annual blood test showed a jump of PSA to 3.2 MY FP didn't think much of it given the history I just presented. A week later I came down with the all too familiar symptoms of prostatitis which have now ebbed and waned for almost 4 weeks.

Is it likely that the rise in PSA preceeded the symptoms ?

sorry for the long question
thanks in advance
Tom

Answer
Tom:

First, you are overthinking this issue.  Your physician indicated he wasn't concerned and neither am I about the miniscule rise.

Since you are having ejaculatory problems with the flomax (tamsulosin), which is a commonly known side effect, why not ask your physician to substitute alfuzosin?  It works just as well and has almost no effect on ejaculation.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD