Urology/Question regarding cystoscopy and cytology results

I am 52years old female,my urine results since past 4 years showed blood in lab exam.
I had cystoscopy done this month by my urologist,both my reports of cystoscopy and cytology came
My question is than what is the cause of urine in my blood?
My family doctor says no more tests needed everythings fine,but
Im still anxious.
Please help.

The appropriate examinations for blood in the urine include a cystoscopy and cytology which you've had and some kind of imaging test on the kidneys, usually a CT scan, which you did not mention.  If the tests are all negative, then we are not able to determine the source of the bleeding but that isn't the point.  We do the testing to rule out all the nasty things that might be causing the bleeding.  If we don't find any tumors or stones, then it's not likely to be anything serious.

If you are unsure if you have been adequately screened, talk  to your urologist or consdier getting a second opinion.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute