Urology/regarding treatment options for atrophic testis condition

Question
BACKGROUND:
Dr. Stephen, I have a condition called atrophic testis. Per my semen analysis report, I do not have any sperm production - zero count.

In one of your earlier responses, you said:
"If there are few or no sperm, it may still be possible to father children through advacned assistance techniques but you'll need to consult a urology specialist in the area of male infertility."

QUESTIONS:
Given my semen analysis report, I have the following questions:
1. Can I still father children through advanced assistance techniques that you are alluding to in one of your responses?
2. Can you name the advanced assistance techniques that you are referring to please?
3. I live in India and would like to know if these advanced techniques are available in India or other neighboring countries?

Best Regards,
Jalloo

Answer
Jalloo:

In the presence of atrophic testes and azoospermia, it is very difficult to obtain sperm for assisted reproduction.  A testis biopsy would indicate if there are any viable sperm at all.  If not, then there is no viable option for fertility since without any sperm there is no reproduction.

The specific name for these assisted reproduction is ICSI or IntraCytoplasmic Sperm Injection.  But the critical issue is whether or not there are any sperm at all and in most cases of azoospermia with atrophic testes it is very doubtful if any sperm are available.  In these situations, we usually recommend adoption or use of donated sperm.

I have no idea if such techniques are available in India.  You will need to make inquiries.  Start by identifying a Urological Institute or tertiary care university center that would likely have a urologist specializing in male infertility.  They are likely to have the resources to do this.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD