You are here:

Urology/Right-hand testicle shrinking and painful during ejaculation


Good day Dr. Leslie

About 5 days ago, I started to experience pain in my the testicle on the right-hand side of my body.  Upon examining, I realised that it was very sensitive and that it has reduced in size (roughly 15% smaller than the left-hand testicle).  I know for a fact that the left-hand testes definitely didn't increase in size.  If inspecting the right-hand testes, it seems to feel like the inside of the testes is slightly softer and less rigid compared to the other one.  At the same time, I also experience pain in this specific testes when ejaculating. It is not mind-blowing sore, but still painful enough.  Throughout the day, I am constantly feeling discomfort/slight pain in this testes.  As far back as I can remember, this specific testes has always been positioned slightly lower in the scrotum than the left-hand side testes when I am standing up, but both are contracting when ejaculating, albeit the right-hand one has always seemed to be more "loose" in the scrotum than the left-hand one when everything is completely relaxed.

I visited my GP earlier today and he manually examined me and stated that I needn't to worry, and it will most-propably subside within a few days, but that there were no definite lumps or indications that anything was seriously wrong.  I enquired if there were anything else I could do to ensure things are all in order, upon which he suggested that I give a semen sample to the medical lab where they will do an bacterial growth analysis over a 48 hour period.  Unfortunately the medical lab is closed on weekends, the closest urologists is 200km away and I cant get an appointment and the quickest the lab can have any results would be 4 days from now.  This really concerns me a lot, since I am currently unmarried and I would love to have children one day.  I feel that waiting 4 days would reduce the chances on successful action, should something seriously be wrong.

My biological & background stats are as follows:  I am a 36 y.o. caucasian and has only made love to one woman in my entire lifetime.  The last time I had intercourse, was 2 months ago.

I would really appreciate your feedback in this regard.


Shrinkage of a testicle is usually due to compromised blood flow or to an infection.  You may also have prostatitis which is sometimes the source of this infection.  There is not much that can be done to reverse a testicle shrinking other than to try and make sure that the other one remains normal.  A course of antibiotics for prostatitis might be a reasonable precaution.   A scrotal ultrasound is easy, quick and painless and will help show any intrinsic problems as well as measuring blood flow.  Talk to your physician and see if you can convince him.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]