Urology/Right Side Pain Mystery

I have had right side pain since Sept.(2 months) It is getting more intense.  Twice, a month apart, there was blood in my urine - not visible to me.  I am just finishing a round of antibiotics with no change as far as pain.  Recheck on urine in one week.  I had a CT scan and I do not have a visible kidney stone.  My bladder was "unremarkable".  My gallbladder was removed 4 years ago.  I had a colonoscopy in early Sept. Had mammogram and ultrasound of right breast.  I had a vaginal ultrasound and I do not have ovarian cysts on the right - (do have 2 on left side). Took a CA-125 test - results negative.  Doc did a liver panel - all ok.  Could I have a stone that is just not showing?  Would the pain last for 6 weeks?  What else could it be?  What's my next step?  I'm in constant pain.  It hurts on right side - just below rib cage. Tender to the touch.  Lately, feels like it's burning.  Not affected by food or what I eat.  Feels better when standing but still hurts.  Please help.  I just don't know what to do anymore. Thanks in advance.

It is highly unlikely to have a kidney stone that doesn't show up on CT scans.  In some cases, we will do an IVP just to be sure in cases of persistent flank pain with negative CT scans.  It would be unusual but no impossible for a stone to produce pain for 6 weeks.  There are many other causes for flank pain and typically stone pain is not tender to the touch in the location you mention.  I can only suggest you get an outside, second opinion at a tertiary care university center.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute