Urology/Right Side Pain Mystery

Question
I have had right side pain since Sept.(2 months) It is getting more intense.  Twice, a month apart, there was blood in my urine - not visible to me.  I am just finishing a round of antibiotics with no change as far as pain.  Recheck on urine in one week.  I had a CT scan and I do not have a visible kidney stone.  My bladder was "unremarkable".  My gallbladder was removed 4 years ago.  I had a colonoscopy in early Sept. Had mammogram and ultrasound of right breast.  I had a vaginal ultrasound and I do not have ovarian cysts on the right - (do have 2 on left side). Took a CA-125 test - results negative.  Doc did a liver panel - all ok.  Could I have a stone that is just not showing?  Would the pain last for 6 weeks?  What else could it be?  What's my next step?  I'm in constant pain.  It hurts on right side - just below rib cage. Tender to the touch.  Lately, feels like it's burning.  Not affected by food or what I eat.  Feels better when standing but still hurts.  Please help.  I just don't know what to do anymore. Thanks in advance.

Answer
Melinda:

It is highly unlikely to have a kidney stone that doesn't show up on CT scans.  In some cases, we will do an IVP just to be sure in cases of persistent flank pain with negative CT scans.  It would be unusual but no impossible for a stone to produce pain for 6 weeks.  There are many other causes for flank pain and typically stone pain is not tender to the touch in the location you mention.  I can only suggest you get an outside, second opinion at a tertiary care university center.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD