Urology/Rise in PSA from 1.3 to 1.8

Question
I am now 67 years old, and have gradually developed some symptoms which I believe suggest BPH. [not on Proscar etc.].
However, my PSA is now 1.8 [risen 0.5 over 18 months]. I have had retrograde ejaculation for 8+ years.

Prior PSA:
05/11 =1.3
11/10= 1.1
04/10= 1.1
04/09= 1.2
10/08= 1.1
01/08= 0.9
11/07= 0.8
07/07= 1.1
12/05= 0.8
01/05= 0.6
07/04= 0.7
10/02= 0.9
08/02= 0.9
05/98= 0.9
What is the liklihood of this as an indication of my having developed cancer?
Thanks!

Answer
Steven:

You've had a small but significant % rise in PSA since your last testing.  I would try a 30 day course fo antibiotics like Cipro and repeat the PSA test.  If it remains elevated, then consider a biopsy.  If it goes back down to within 25% of 1.3, then continue monitoring.  We generally get a little concerned when we see a persistent rise of more than 25% per year that is not reducible with antibiotics.

The fact that you have symptoms suggests you need treatment such a finasteride or alfuzosin.  Talk to your physician about this.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD