Urology/Slightly Burning Sensation in Centre of Bladder/Pelvic Region

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr. Suppe,

I'm male,African,39 yrs. On 20th October,I felt a burning sensation in my bladder/pelvic region. The sensation was fleeting and thinking that it would vanish without much ado,the rest of the day went by without my noticing it again.However,when I paid more attention from the next day,I noticed the feeling remained.Its like a slight burning in the centre of my bladder but not persistent throughout the day-it comes and goes but is noticeably pronounced when am about to sleep at night and morning after I have my first urination;when it goes,I feel nothing but when it comes,it lingers for some minutes and is very uncomfortable.My urine culture test for infection returned negative;there's no urethral pain/discomfort anytime I urinate and there's no urine retention. Last time I had sex was 20months ago but I masturbate about twice a week. Our family doctor prescribed only the use of "Sodamint" saying antibiotics or any other strong drug is unecessary since my urine test is negative.  

I've read many of your responses on this forum and seen such worrying things as cancer,fibrolgymia,prostate cancer,UTIs,bladder stones. Hopefully doctor,I  don't have anything so potentially serious or longterm.Its been about 11 days now without relief.

Please doctor kindly benefit me with your experience and suggest what I could possibly do.

Best regards,
Ojo

ANSWER: Ojo,
In your situation I would be less than concerned about bladder cancer because there is rarely burning sensations as a symptom, if no blood in the urine analysis then OK but if you are a smoker the risk elevates significantly. There may be an irritant that you could be ingesting like a citrus, acidic, caffeine or food that might be the cause of this. Some men in rare situations have a condition called IC (intracystial cystitis). The condition like I said is unusual in men but not unheard of. Fibromyalgia is a condition coined when a physician can not find a cause for patients with strange pain syndromes that have zero correlations to anything they take , eat or have a history for. The pain is real but the source is undiagnosed so neuropathy agents like Neurontin (gabapentin) and pregabelin (Lyrica) are prescribed to disrupt the signal of the pain pathway. I recommend a test for cystitis , the urologist will look inside of the bladder with a flexible cystoscope for redness and irritation, they may also infuse potassium chloride in the bladder because IC will have a great deal of burning upon contact with potassium chloride. There is a rescue solution of 2% lidocaine that is quickly infused after the pain reaction takes place. This can rule out or confirm IC.  

Other than that if all is negative you can try a drug for IC called Elmiron to see if it helps. The other choice is Uribel, Uricit-K, and Pyridium which are drugs that help with bladder irritation and spasming. I welcome an answer if any of these ideas are helpful for you because the only way I can better my patient care is to know when something is effective. I hope I was able give you some avenues to work with your treating physician in resolving the discomfort. Have a wonderful day !

QUESTION: Hello Dr. Suppe,

I promised to get back to you on the lab result.Finally, i received my abdominal scan report on Monday, 12th Dec and the report is that i have a "moderately enlarged prostate". Based on this, my GP doctor prescribed Cifexime antibiotics, Diclofenac and Aminnoacids Vitamin syrup. I've been using these drugs since Monday, 12th and i must say that i noticed a reduction of the dull aching in the pelvic/bladder region. Only thing i noticed is that my urine turned a yellow golden color while using the drugs but nothing more. Hopefully, as i finish the drug course yesterday i will listen intently to my body if its finally gone otherwise i approach the doctor again.

Once again, a great many thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Ojo.

Answer
Ojo,
I was wondering if you had a urine analysis to prove infection was there ? If not then antibiotics serve no purpose. Diclinofac is an anti-inflammatory drug and this either way is a good choice to reduce swelling and irritation. Amino acids and vitamins are nice but there is no data to show effectiveness in prostatitis or cystitis recovery. I am glad your feeling a bit better. I will conclude that none of the prescribed meds can hurt you so keep taking as your doctor prescribed and drink lots of water. This should improve nicely. Have a good holiday season. Thomas

Urology

Thomas A Suppe RDMS CLT