Urology/Stricture issues

Question
QUESTION: Dr., I had a hypospadius repair 35 years ago (I was about 4 at the time).  I have never had a good urine stream.  About a year and a half ago I had a kidney stone stuck about two inches from the exit for about a month.  I have passed about ten stones in my life.  This is when I was diagnosed with the stricture.  I am now post five dilations and one urethrotomy.  The stricture is back.  I am thinking of doing self cath.  I also have never been able to ejaculate with any force (just oozes or I have to squeeze it out).  Will self cath help with the weak ejaculation?  Would doing self cath with an erection help, or is that not safe?  Your help is greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Tim,
Self catheterization is not the answer here but it will not harm you it will actually dilate the stricture and relieve symptoms to a degree. I recommend a laser urethrotomy , a surgeon can go into the penile urethra and use a 532 green laser on very low power and vaporize the stricture, afterwards an option is to inject Botox into the stricture to inhibit reoccuenance. There has been mixed results with this procedure including the Botox. The laser vaporization of the stricture is certainly necessary but the Botox is a cash pay option that insurance does not pay due to FDA approval for the use of the drug for the procedure. At this point Botox is only approved for bladder frequency. You may cath in the mean time .

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response.  Two follow up questions.  How does the green laser procedure differ from the cold knife procedure?  And lastly, can self cath while erect cause any more "damage" than while flaccid?

Answer
Tim,
The green laser will vaporize tissue therefore its removed and the obstruction is absent, the cold knife makes 3 inscisions in the stricture coined a Mercedes like the emblem on the car. The inscisions can just grow back together and create more collegen scar tissue from myofibroblastic regeneration subsequently creating a worse stricture. Lasers have less incidents of post surgical scar tissue because the tissue becomes de-vascularized when the 532 wavelength vacuumes the red blood cells from the tissue.

Q2, No but its not a good idea because the ejaculatory duct dilates during erection and creates a diversion for the catheter and the bladder neck will not relax, this is why its so difficult to urinate with a full erection. You won't necessarily hurt the urethra but there is a potential so wait for a flaccid state to cath.  

Urology

Thomas A Suppe RDMS CLT