Urology/talkin

Question
soo during my penile test at once point it showed my edv to be 9 but then just one minute later it showed it to be 7. also i was given a really low dose 15mg of trimex. my question is it reasoanble to believe that my number would of gone lower if he would of measured it a little later and i also was reading that a small dosage causes an increase in edv. is this true?

Answer
Sean:

First, there is no such thing as "15 mg of trimix".  Since trimix is a mixture that does not have a definitive standard composition, the dosage is measure by the concentration that makes it up and the volume given. Therefore, there is no way to interpret what 15 mg of trimix is.  In other words, if your formula for trimix is 30 mg of paperverine, 5 mg of regitine and 10 mcg of prostaglandin, how much is 15 mg of the mixture?  Trimix is not usually used for this testing because of this issue and the potential for prolonged erections.

These medications are designed to relax smooth muscle tissue and increase arterial flow.  End diastolic velocity is a measurement of the spped of blood flow at the end of the heartbeat.  since at this point there is minimal pressure, the flow should be low.  A high EDV would indicate a possible venous leak.  Since the purpose of the doppler is to diagnose arterial flow and the issue about venous leak is a secondary concern, once an adequate arterial flow is found the procedure is usually terminated.  Once there is verification of a good blood arterial blood flow, it is not recommended nor appropriate to increase the medication dosage just to try to demonstrate a lowering of the EDV.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD