Urology/Alot of blood from penis

Five days ago my wife and I were experimenting with our sexual activities. My wife was slowly inserting a plastic rod down the head of my penis into my Urethra.  Once it was in about 5-6 inches she moved it up and down slowly. After maybe 3-4 strokes a large amount of red blood began streaming from the head of my penis. I had to squeeze my penis with my hand in order to stop the blood flow. After about 15-25 minutes of squeezing my penis the bleeding stopped.  For he next 12-18 hours there was a very small amount of blood the would seep from the tip after urinating. There was no blood IN the urine only a small amount of blood seepage afterwards.  After 24 hours there was no blood nor was there any pain during urination. The blood has not returned and there is no pain, and I can ejaculate without blood and workout pain. The event scared my wife and I immensely! Please, please tell us what we could of caused to have injured and what should I do now?
Thank you, please hurry I am scared as heck!!

First of all, don't do anything like that again.  You can cause significant harm and you may still develop some scarring which can cause strictures and ongoing problems.  Do not put anything into the urethra of the penis unless specifically told otherwise by a physician!

What to do now is to call your physician who may recommend that you consult a urologist.  A 10 day course of an antibiotic such as doxycycline might help prevent some scarring but at this point we usually just wait and see if you develop any problems.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute