Urology/Bladder Problem

Im 12 and I have this bladder problem that only started less than a year ago and its getting worse. I only feel an urge to pee when my bladder is really full. I was too embarassed to say anything but I think im going to have to now because its pretty bad now. Usually at school I just go to the bathroom twice a day just in case. Well I guess I did it too much, I ran out of hall passes and I at the end of the day I felt that sudden urge. I can feel it very slightly as its getting full then suddenly its like my bladder is instantly full. I kept asking my teacher if I could go but she said no. Only about 10 minutes after I felt the urge I couldnít wait anymore and peed my pants. I know I have to tell my parents Im just wondering what it could be. Could it just be because of puberty or something? Im kind of worried now I donít want to end up wearing a diaper or something like this other girl I heard about. Thanks

It's probably nothing to worry about, but it's best to have it checked.  You may need to do a voiding diary (measure how much you void and when) for 24 hours and possibly consult with a specialist like a pediatric urologist to be sure.  Meanwhile, talk to your physician to get things started.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute