Urology/Bladder Wall Thickening

On Dec 19 2012 I had 2 liters of urine with blood drained by the urologist. He sent me to the emergency room where they said I had a urine infection. I also have very little room for urine to flow because of the prostate. I now have a Foley catheter. The emergency room did a CAT scan and said I have thickening of the bladder wall.I believe this urine has been building up for a long time and finally got so bad it led to the infection. The antibiotic has stopped the bleeding and the urine appears very good. No kidney damage. Blood test ruled out a blood infection and the kidney is in excellent condition. I an now very concerned what damage has been done to the bladder and if it will function normally in the future because to the wall thickening. I am set to have a cysto done on Jan 2, 2013. Can you also inform me about having the green light procedure done when the cysto is done?

The normal bladder capacity is only around 1/2 liter so you have stretched out your bladder to 4 times the normal size.  The proper treatment for this is to use a Foley catheter and allow the bladder to shrink to a normal size.  A cystoscopy will determine the degree of blockage and whether or not the size and shape of the prostate is conducive to a greenlight laser prostate procedure.  If the prostate is too large or asymmetrical, the greenlight may not be appropriate and some other procedure such as a TURP may be recommended instead.

You may also be asked to under a CMG or urodynamics (bladder capacity and pressure) test.  This involves filling the bladder with gas or water to measure the capacity and the muscle tone.  It doesn't do any good to remove the blockage if the bladder damage is so severe that you still can properly empty the bladder.  The bladder pressure test allows us to better predict the outcome of any surgery by telling us how well or how poorly the bladder muscle is working.  If it is not working well, then a suprapubic tube or intermittent catheterization may be used either alone or together with the surgery.  This will be discussed with the urologist after the cystoscopy.  Good luck.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute