Urology/Catheters

Question
My husband (83) recently had prostate surgery to allow better urine flow.  Urologist said his main problem was his bladder had been distended for long periods and muscles were bad.  During surgery they put in a supra pubic catheter.  Everything was going well, went to urologist's office to have it changed out for the first time and they could not get one back in.  He sent him home to see how well he does on his own.  We go back Thursday and they will see if he is emptying his bladder completely.  If not, options being offered are back to surgery for supra pubic again, catherize himself (done in the past but resulted in many infections and family Dr. had him stop)or a Foley catheter.  I would like some advice on best method.  I would also like to ask if not getting the supra pubic to go back in is a common problem?  Asking this because we were told it would be done in Urologist's office first and maybe second time and then a nurse would be coming to the house to do it.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  Maggie

Answer
Maggie,
Intermittent cathing is best but sterility is a major factor. Being 83 his immune system is not great to fight off infections so technique is key. No re-using or boiling catheters and he needs to wash his hands with hibiclens (chlorhexidine gluconate solution 4%) before handling the new sterile catheter. I also recommend an antibiotic embedded hydrophilic catheter like a MAGIC 3 BY Rochester medical. These caths are perfect for those with compromised immune systems. When a bladder becomes distended it takes a bit of time to regain function if it does at all. The only way to know is to get a urodynsmics study done prescribed by a urologist qualified to read the results. If the detrusor muscle is A-contractile (can not contract),  then he should be cathing and surgery should never be done unless its to open a path so a catheter may pass unrestricted (prostate channelectomy or partial rescetioning). Supra-pubic catheters are not great for those with immune issues bc an open stoma is wide open for a systemic infection so intermittent cathing is best. I wish him well and thank you for looking out for his best interest, there are not enough people out there that care enough to make sure the elderly is protected yes even spouses neglect their own. God bless!  

Urology

Thomas A Suppe RDMS CLT