QUESTION: i am 30 years old and healthy. my hairline is receding so my dermatologist prescribed me finasteride 1mg to take daily. i took it for six days only and found my sexual drive is very low and my semen also converted very watery. i'm facing erectile dysfunction since taking the drug. before a week i had no such problems. i discontinued the drug when i found it is harmful for my sexual health. but i want to ask you whether these side effects will go or i have to live with them. i'm very much worried . i only took it for six days. please guide me will my hormones become normal again? thankyou.

Most likely the side effects from the finasteride will disappear over time.  Your hormones were not abnormal; just affected by the finasteride which is known to happen.  Erection trouble occurs in about 5-10% of men taking finasteride.

QUESTION: sir the enzymes 5 alpha reductase gets blocked forever or do they generate again after the drug is stopped. does taking zinc will naturally and safely inhibit some dht to save my hair. thank you.

If the enzymes were blocked forever you would't need to take the finasteride daily.  Besides, your erection function is not primarily related to 5 alpha reductase activity which is why the vast majority of patients taking finasteride have no erection problems.

There is no solid evidence that zinc helps retain hair.  Try rogaine.

QUESTION: thank you dr for all your answers. i appreciate your kind help. please tell me one more thing how much time it takes for normal sexual functioning. will i be sexually healthy again or i have to live with this ed and watery semen. is there anything i can do?

Sure.  First, stop getting so worked up about it.  The more anxiety you develop, the more problems you will have from that.  There is no reason to think your sexual function won't return to whatever it was previously.  If not, check with your physician.  Typically, full return to normal occurs in 1-2 weeks.  If it's been >30 days and no improvement, check with your physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute