Urology/ed

Question
QUESTION: i am 30 years old and healthy. my hairline is receding so my dermatologist prescribed me finasteride 1mg to take daily. i took it for six days only and found my sexual drive is very low and my semen also converted very watery. i'm facing erectile dysfunction since taking the drug. before a week i had no such problems. i discontinued the drug when i found it is harmful for my sexual health. but i want to ask you whether these side effects will go or i have to live with them. i'm very much worried . i only took it for six days. please guide me will my hormones become normal again? thankyou.

ANSWER: Alen
I am hopeful your short period of use and subsequent negative effect is only a temporary one. PFS (Post Finasteride Syndrome)is an unfortunate hormonal imbalance from the DHT (dihydrotestosteone) blocking drug. I think this drug should be banned world wide as it has done so much harm and we still have no cure or remedy for reversing the effects. You could have very well taken a high grade Saw Palmetto herb and got the same results with out the hormone imbalance that effects virility in men. Finasteride works well at shrinking the prostate and assisting in hair re-growth but the percentage of men that have become impotent from its use is an unconscionable side effect that the US FDA and other governing bodies allowed to slide by in clinical trials. Its hard to say your prognosis but I will say the less that has been used the better chance of turning the tables back to normal erectile and libido function.

QUESTION: thankyou dr iv'e researched about it after having ed. i had Seborrheic dermatitis before and very oily scalp this proves that i had very high dht. but i took it only six days i want your opinion that would i become normal as iv'e frightened because of so much stuff on internet. i had noctoral errections today but they were not very good. iv'e also heard that dht returns normal after 2 weeks after discontinuation. is noctoral errections are indication of my normal return or i'm over. please shed some light on this as you have seen so many patients.

Answer
Alan
If you had nocturnal erections that is a very good sign of normal healthy vasculature. Give it time for the hormones to return to normal or your baseline levels before finasteride. I believe you should be able to get back to normal self since such a short duration of treatment. Daily Cialis can be of benefit if you get a prescription to assist erections.  

Urology

Thomas A Suppe RDMS CLT