Urology/Edging and health

QUESTION: I am in my 60's and I practice edging a few times every few months. Do you think masturbating up to the point of ejaculating, but not several times in a few days will harm my prostate?

ANSWER: Barney,
There is no harm in what people call edging it increases ejaculate volume by stimulating the seminal vesicles and prostate along with intensity of climax. Its perfectly safe.

QUESTION: Are you sure of this answer? You're esteemed colleague Dr. Leslie disagrees with you. Can you elaborate a litle more on your answer. Remember, I may 'edge" up to 20 times a day for 3 or 4 days without ejaculating. Many have told me this is too hard on my prostate.

If you masturbate 20 x a day which you did not mention you stated "a few times every few months',  I can not say what your prostatic condition may be as this behavior is abnormal for the average male. I do not concur with Dr Leslie as the body will reabsorb excess semen produced and if no signs of prostatitis then I can not see how you hurt the prostate. Remember you told Dr leslie 20 x a day and you told me a few times a month !Hypertrophy takes place as a result of testosterone turing into DHT (dihydrotestosterone) not sexual activity. If there were clinical studies on this behavior which there are not as no academic institution would find merit in an abnormal behavior that the general populous does not do ,as a result there is no benefit to the study. Not a one of us with out long term and high volume data can be an authority on the subject. I suggest seeing a sexual therapist if you feel the need to masturbate  edging 20 times a day this is clinical hypersexual behavior which is a psychogenic condition.  

Thomas A Suppe RDMS CLT

Invervential urologic radiology , urologic laser surgery, cryotherapy of the prostate and kidney, extracorporal shockwave lithotripsy, holmium laser lithotripsy, urodynamics (video-non video),male infertility, erectile dysfunction, Peyronies disease, hypogonadism ,kidney stones, prostate cancer detection, BPH, voiding dysfunction, bladder cancer and continent diversions.

For the past 20 years performing intervential and diagnostic uro-radiology for a multitude of urologic surgeons from New York, New Jersey, Lousianna and Texas. Founder of DMS medical LLC introducing the Texas Medical Center to the first high power Green Light laser for the treatment of BPH just after its release by the FDA from Laserscope and its sucessful trials at the Mayo Clinc.

American Registery of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS), American Urologic Assocoation (AUA), American Medical Systems (AMS) Laserscope,Oncura, Allergan and Auxilliam pharmaceuticals.

Comprehention of Urologic Ultrasonography for the Resident Physician (Journal of Urology 2012), Author of the syllabus for the uro-radiology residency course at The Scott Dept of Urology at Baylor College of Medicine Houston Texas (2010 to present). Past Clinical Studies: Principal radiology investigator Allergan Inc for "The treatment of BPH with intra-prostatic injections of Botox" with Larry I Lipshultz MD 2011-2012, principal radiology investigator for Allergan Inc for "The treatment of Peyronies disease by intra-lesional penile injections of Botox" with Mohit Khera MD MBA MPH (2011-2012). Current studies: Principal investigator of "Blood pressure risk factors of intra cavernosal injections of Trimix and PGE1 during Penile Duplex's.

BS from Ramapo College of NJ, Registered diagnostic medical sonographer with the ARDMS, 2 year fellowship of Uro-Radiology and intervential sonography at Baylor College of Medicine Houston TX, laser safty officer in state of Texas and certified in KTP, Holmium and Lithium Tri-boride laser systems from Laserscope San Jose, California and American Medical Systems Minnatonka Minnasota, trained and certified by Oncura Inc Isreal in ultrasound guided argon cryotherapy of the prostate and kidney.

Honorary instructor of GU ultrasound course 2012 international meeting of the American Urologic Association. Author of the the AUA course for "Ultrasonography of the Testes and Scrotum" 2012.

Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Lousianna State University (LSU), LSU Medical Center Shreeveport LA, The Methodist Hospital Houston Texas, St Lukes Episcopal Hospital Houston Texas, Memorial Herman Health Systems Houston Texas, Palestine RMC Texas, Doctors Regional Hospital Corpus Christi Texas, Valverde Regional Medical Center DelRio Texas, Current instructor/technologist for two internationally recognized urologists : Larry I Lipshultz MD and Mohit Khera MD, MBA, MPH at Baylor College of Medicine. I served as intervential sonography consultant for Oncura Inc cryotherapy systems. Former lead trainer for Urosource mobile medical services , training new surgeons in PVP or photo-selective vaporization of the prostate for BPH, BNCs and urethral stricture vaporization.