I recently had blood that appeared at the end of urination, but there was no pain and it cleared up after a few days. It started off being barely noticeable, but then became obvious, but then got better and went away. I was reading that blood at the end is related to the prostate or bladder.

I am a 23 year old male with no history of medical problems, and there is also nothing in my family history to indicate any serious problem.

Was it most likely just an infection? I was ingesting baking soda (about a teaspoon in water every day) and drinking all distilled water for a good while, and I did something silly like eat a piece of food that fell into my kitchen sink because I didn't want to waste it. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it

Do you think getting a check up is necessary?

Gross hematuria can be caused by a stone or tumor within the urinary tract and not necessarily a urinary tract infection. If the infection is present there will be burning during urination or foggy smelly urine that tips us off to the infection. Bladder cancer is less likely in younger men unless years of heavy smoking has taken place yet not unheard of either. I would recommend a trip to a urologist to rule out anything more serious like stone or kidney/bladder tumor.  

Thomas A Suppe RDMS CLT

Invervential urologic radiology , urologic laser surgery, cryotherapy of the prostate and kidney, extracorporal shockwave lithotripsy, holmium laser lithotripsy, urodynamics (video-non video),male infertility, erectile dysfunction, Peyronies disease, hypogonadism ,kidney stones, prostate cancer detection, BPH, voiding dysfunction, bladder cancer and continent diversions.

For the past 20 years performing intervential and diagnostic uro-radiology for a multitude of urologic surgeons from New York, New Jersey, Lousianna and Texas. Founder of DMS medical LLC introducing the Texas Medical Center to the first high power Green Light laser for the treatment of BPH just after its release by the FDA from Laserscope and its sucessful trials at the Mayo Clinc.

American Registery of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS), American Urologic Assocoation (AUA), American Medical Systems (AMS) Laserscope,Oncura, Allergan and Auxilliam pharmaceuticals.

Comprehention of Urologic Ultrasonography for the Resident Physician (Journal of Urology 2012), Author of the syllabus for the uro-radiology residency course at The Scott Dept of Urology at Baylor College of Medicine Houston Texas (2010 to present). Past Clinical Studies: Principal radiology investigator Allergan Inc for "The treatment of BPH with intra-prostatic injections of Botox" with Larry I Lipshultz MD 2011-2012, principal radiology investigator for Allergan Inc for "The treatment of Peyronies disease by intra-lesional penile injections of Botox" with Mohit Khera MD MBA MPH (2011-2012). Current studies: Principal investigator of "Blood pressure risk factors of intra cavernosal injections of Trimix and PGE1 during Penile Duplex's.

BS from Ramapo College of NJ, Registered diagnostic medical sonographer with the ARDMS, 2 year fellowship of Uro-Radiology and intervential sonography at Baylor College of Medicine Houston TX, laser safty officer in state of Texas and certified in KTP, Holmium and Lithium Tri-boride laser systems from Laserscope San Jose, California and American Medical Systems Minnatonka Minnasota, trained and certified by Oncura Inc Isreal in ultrasound guided argon cryotherapy of the prostate and kidney.

Honorary instructor of GU ultrasound course 2012 international meeting of the American Urologic Association. Author of the the AUA course for "Ultrasonography of the Testes and Scrotum" 2012.

Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Lousianna State University (LSU), LSU Medical Center Shreeveport LA, The Methodist Hospital Houston Texas, St Lukes Episcopal Hospital Houston Texas, Memorial Herman Health Systems Houston Texas, Palestine RMC Texas, Doctors Regional Hospital Corpus Christi Texas, Valverde Regional Medical Center DelRio Texas, Current instructor/technologist for two internationally recognized urologists : Larry I Lipshultz MD and Mohit Khera MD, MBA, MPH at Baylor College of Medicine. I served as intervential sonography consultant for Oncura Inc cryotherapy systems. Former lead trainer for Urosource mobile medical services , training new surgeons in PVP or photo-selective vaporization of the prostate for BPH, BNCs and urethral stricture vaporization.