Urology/kidney stones

Hi Dr.Leslie,
Im 27 yrs old. I get uti 3times a yr. Recently I thought I had a uti infection and started to get flank pain on my right side. went to see my urologist and he performed a ultrasound on my kidneys., and said they both looked dilated, and also he found in my urine some blood no bacteria. Which I couldn't see. he said only a microscope would see it. He did not see any stones in my kidneys but sent me to get a cat scan abdominal and pelvic. which I did question is what if there are no stones and just dilated kidneys. what happens next? and if there are stones what will happen and how will I get rid of them. ? how can I prevent this from happening again if I do have stones?
Thank you

Dilated kidneys on both sides could be congenital or may indicate some level of blackage at the level of the bladder.  Stones are unlikely since there would have to simultaneous and equivalent blockage on both sides which would be highly unlikely.

Your urologist will decide if anything else is needed.  If the blockage is just from swelling due to an infection, then it should resolve with antibiotics.

Preventive analysis for kidney stones can be done with a 24 hour urine test, but that would be premature since we don't know if you have any stones yet.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute