Urology/kidney stones

Question
Hi Dr.Leslie,
Im 27 yrs old. I get uti 3times a yr. Recently I thought I had a uti infection and started to get flank pain on my right side. went to see my urologist and he performed a ultrasound on my kidneys., and said they both looked dilated, and also he found in my urine some blood no bacteria. Which I couldn't see. he said only a microscope would see it. He did not see any stones in my kidneys but sent me to get a cat scan abdominal and pelvic. which I did today.my question is what if there are no stones and just dilated kidneys. what happens next? and if there are stones what will happen and how will I get rid of them. ? how can I prevent this from happening again if I do have stones?
Thank you

Answer
Chanel:

Dilated kidneys on both sides could be congenital or may indicate some level of blackage at the level of the bladder.  Stones are unlikely since there would have to simultaneous and equivalent blockage on both sides which would be highly unlikely.

Your urologist will decide if anything else is needed.  If the blockage is just from swelling due to an infection, then it should resolve with antibiotics.

Preventive analysis for kidney stones can be done with a 24 hour urine test, but that would be premature since we don't know if you have any stones yet.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD