Urology/Night Erection

Night Erection
Night Erection  
Hi Dr. Stephen,
I been diagnosed with a mild case of venous leakage. I was using some herbs for 2 weeks that contain yohimbe and ginkgo biloba which give some help but it cause me high blood pressure so i stopped since 10 days now.
Currently i have a problem that when i sleep i always have erection all night, i first notice that at any time i wake up i have an erection ( not very hard erection, picture attached, but if i stimulated it a little i will get harder), i usually wake up every 2 or 3 hours and i always found this erection , I had to wash for few minutes to have it normal back again, then my spouse confirmed this by monitoring me for a night, i get this erection few minutes after i sleep.
I saw 2 doctors and they claim i am fine and i should not worry, but i am concern that this erection can be sort of priapism that will damage my penis fabric.
-can you please advise on the picture attached if this is really normal ?
-will that erection cause any damage to my penis if it lasted the whole night ?
Now i have to schedule waking up every 2 hours to wash to eliminate turning this erection to priapism and this really causing me lack of sleep and disturbing my life.
Thanks in advance.

Your physicians are correct.  What you are seeing are normal nocturnal erections and not priapism so don't worry about it.  The erections you are seeing do not last all night.  If they did, it could cause some damage but they don't.  You don't have to wake up every 2 hours to take care of it.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute