Urology/numbness in penis?

Question
QUESTION: Hey,

I've sometimes/couple of times felt like my penis goes numb (right side mostly), doesnt matter if its flaccid or erected and this doesnt last long (5-20sec.). What is the deal of this? Has this got something to do with vascular function or venous leakage? Is varicocele somehow related to venous leakage?

ANSWER: Tom,
Numbness is a result of nerve disruption due to lack of blood flow via oxygenation. Hold your wrist tight and cut off the blood flow to your hand, you will experience the same sensation and eventually pain. Why is this only 5 seconds now and then ? I have no answer but I will say it is not a serious medical condition to worry upon.  

QUESTION: Okay. I have this happen to me many times nowadays and I must say it doesnt go numb all the way, its just more numb somehow compared to left side of my penis and I still have some feeling. I'm just concerned that my penis goes numb, especially at night when it's erected ((and I have woken up in the middle of the night with an erection that feels little number)), and this damages the circulatory system/vascular function or some other part of the penis or priapism etc... how can I be sure that it hasnt or when can I be sure that some damage is done?? Thank you very much!

ps. Might this have something to do with my leg going numb?

-Tom

Answer
Tom,
If you are having numbness in the leg in addition to the penis I would see doctor for a physical exam and possible venous duplex of the lower extremities to rule out a possible thrombosis or clot. The penis can get numb when a 100% occlusive erection is attained due to the lack of circulation but this is also accompanied by pain in the penis that is unmistakable. Get it checked out if you feel this is a consistent problem.  

Urology

Thomas A Suppe RDMS CLT