Urology/Pain inside the penis

Hello. I am having a pain inside my penis (like burning), it started when I was urinating with the door of the bathroom opened, I heard somebody walked into my room so I reached for the door (I had to stretch a little) and closed it without stopping the urine flow, when I returned to the original position the flow suddenly stopped (less than a second) and then continued, this was the moment when I felt the pain at the tip of my penis. After urinating I noticed that if I touch the top (not the tip) of my penis it hurts (it hurts more when touching at the back of the head of the penis). I searched for a cut or something but didn't find anything, I tried making a soft pressure on my penis and noticed that it only hurts the top, not the middle or the lower part and seems that the pain is inside and it doesn't hurt if I don't touch it at all, but it hurts sometimes if my penis rubs my boxer. After some hours the next times I urinated I noticed that the pain was almost gone, but it was still hurting with contact. After waking up I went to urinate and it didn't hurt at all, but the pain was still there (less pain) with contact. The penis doesn't look swollen or red. Maybe I threw out a stone and that's why the flow stopped for a while, but I didn't see any stone. Also I've been having problems with my underwear causing discomfort at the tip of my penis (I'm circumcised) or maybe the moment the flow of urine stopped made some kind of problem. I don't have fever, or pain on my back, just this pain/burning for the last 24 hrs. I hope you can give me a clue on what's going on. Thanks for all!

Sorry, but we would not expect the activity you described to have any lasting effect on urination.  You could have an infection or an inflammed prostate as in prostatitis which can sometimes do things like this.  You should check with your regular physician to see if there is any infection or other immediately treatable problem.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute