You are here:

Urology/Penis Length

Advertisement


Question
Hello Doctor,I appreciate that we discussed this subject and thanks to you I'm contentt with my endowment.  This is just an intriguing curiousity querstion.  I was thinking of my long ago elementary school days and remember a conversation with another boy.  One time he had gotten a cut and a teacher took him in to the Faculty rest room to clean him up.  The boy said he saw the principal taking a leak and that the principal needed TWO hands to hold up his organ!  Is such a thing possible?  How long can a man's penis get?  Does a man with a very long penis have to wait a long time to 'clear the pipe?'  THANKS!  Ken

Answer
Ken, as far as the young man's recollections are concerned, the principal's penis was probably not quite as large as he perceived.  (Take the example of visiting the bedroom you slept in as a boy when you are a man - it looks so small)!“  Normal” penile size is a common question as the majority of men believe they were "short-changed". When looking down at one's penis from above, because of the perspective, the phallus appear shorter than it's true size.  The average flaccid penis is 3.5-4 inches long, when stretched 4.5-5 inches and erect 5-6 inches in length. The average circumference flaccid is 3.5-4 inches and when erect 4.5-5 inches.  These statistics apply to 95% of men.  The other 5% are at he higher and lower ends of the spectrum.  Interestingly, there is no direct correlation between the size of the flaccid and erect penis.

After a male voids, the contractions of the bulbocavernosus muscle empty most of the residual urine from the urethra.  The few drops remaining, are typically removed by gentle stripping of the urethra forward.  It may be that some men with particularly long penises may need to strip a little extra but I can find no medical documentation for this assumption.  

Urology

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Expertise

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

Experience

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

Organizations
American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

Education/Credentials
College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.