Urology/penis numbing

Dr. Leslie,

I have been having a strange numbing of the right side of my penis. This occurs sometimes e.g. when bad sitting position causes numbing to my right leg and buttocks, this happens both erected and flaccid and it goes away quite quickly. There is no pain but I'm still a bit concerned. I'm especially concerned that some damage would happen during the night (priapism etc.). Can this cause any damage to my penis for example venous leak or priapism?

A priapism or penile damage would be extremely unusual given the above history.  The fact that there is some numbness extending into the leg, thigh and buttocks suggests a more regionalized nerve sensory issue.  You should contact your local physician for advice on dealing with this.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute