Urology/Possible Mondors?

Question
Dr Leslie,

About 8-10 weeks ago I noticed my dorsal vein was very prominent and was almost protruding underneath the skin after some sexual activity.  I didn't think much of it until a few days later when I noticed my penis was slowly becoming larger during erections (I can see the dorsal vein and the two veins next to it.  The skin is very hot towards the top, and it doesn't feel like a firm erection, more like an erection with inflmaation and colorless swelling around it if that makes sense).  

It was also at this time I noticed the dorsal tissue on my penis (when flacid) feel hot and inflamed (not thin and sensitive like it normally feels), and the skin was turning browner as well.  I could feel my dorsal vein from my pubic bone to about the middle of the shaft, where at that point I can see and feel a small nodule on the vein that often sticks out.  I also experience some very slight discomfort along this area as well (rom the pubis to mid shaft).

I'm noticing that the skin on the top of my shaft is becoming resistant to being moved and forth.  I'm also noticing whenever I stand up after sitting or lying down, the mid part of my shaft where the nodule is located is very inflamed and takes a bit for the blood to even out the rest of the shaft if that makes sense.

I have no std's or infections (tested for both), and after seeing a urologist he said everything felt normal but that an ultrasound may be helpful, but that he wants to give me an erection with it.

Do you think this is mondors?  based on this article it seems like it could be http://www.pdfio.com/k-2598093.html

Any help would be much appreciated.

Answer
Harold:

Its possible that this is Mondor's disease of the penis.  If so, there really is no treatment except for hot soaks and Ibuprofen.  It is usually self-limiting and is not dangerous.  Of course, I can't be sure about the diagnosis based only on your description.  An ultrasound would not be an unreasonable precaution.  I cannot explain your feeling about your erection characteristics or change in size.  I suspect that is why your urologist is asking for an ultrasound with an artificial or injection produced erection.  I would suggest you follow the advice of your urologist.  True Mondor's is quite rare.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD